10 Words

Achiever--Includer--Deliberative--Creative--Discipline--Organized--Maximizer--Strategic--Intelligent--Command

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Inside the Olathe Animal Shelter

The Assignment

Originally, this project was going to be a feature story about a partner, or someone that partner knew, but it was decided that everyone would do their own project since it would've been very difficult to find something to make a story about from another person. The base of the assignment stayed the same, feature story, not hard news, 60 to 90 seconds, scripted voice-over, interview, and B-Roll. First, we had to pick something to do our story on, so I chose the animal shelter. I then had to write the questions for the interview and get it set up so I could go down to the shelter and film. The editing and voice over took some time, but I'll talk about that in a bit. First, the final product:

The Video

The first part of making the video was to gather the clips and organize them. Next, I had to put together the script for the video. This means choosing what sound bytes to use, ordering them into a feature story format, writing what the voice-over will be, and choosing what video clips should be used, and in what order. The voice over was recorded (in hindsight, poorly), and the sound bytes pulled from the recordings, so I was ready to edit. All that had to be done after that was to place the parts in the same order as the script, adjust the audio levels so it was all equal, and add the lower third label. If I could redo it, I would change the voice over. I just feel that the quality of it, as I stated earlier, compared to the rest of the video is lacking. I would not, however, change the shots, shot variety, or order of the shots. These are probably the best-done part of the video. One thing I learned through this project is to always have a "Plan B". The original plan was that I would go down to the SPCA Shelter and film, but they were unavailable. So, I went to the Olathe Animal Shelter (who I would like to thank for letting me film), where I feel like I got a better story, though it was more difficult. To conclude, I think I learned a lot from this, it was definitely the most fun I've had on schoolwork this year so far, and that I hope the video was interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Jacob, I just got done watching your video interview at the animal shelter and you did a great job, loved the photos and loved hearing your voice. You did a really good job on this assignment. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete